Brian Jacobs, PhD
Dr. Brian Jacobs is a professor of decision sciences at the Pepperdine Graziadio Business School. He teaches project management, production and operations management, and quantitative analysis in the Graziadio bachelor of science, MS, MBA, and Executive MBA programs.
Brian has over 20 years experience in business, mainly as a manufacturing manager and project manager in the primary metals and automotive assembly industries. His research interests and areas of expertise include sustainability and environmental operations, process improvement, operations strategy, and the financial/market value of operations strategies. He has published in leading academic journals, and is currently serving in editorial roles for the Journal of Operations Management, and Production and Operations Management.
Prior to joining Graziadio, Brian was an associate professor of supply chain management at Michigan State University. He holds a BS in Marine Engineering Systems from the US Merchant Marine Academy, an MS in Mechanical Engineering from MIT, and a PhD in Business Administration from Georgia Tech.
- PhD, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2009
Dissertation Title: Essays on Operations Strategies
Advisors: Vinod Singhal and Ravi Subramanian
- MS, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1987
Thesis Title: Applications of the Taguchi Method to Product Innovation
- BS, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, 1982
Marine Engineering Systems
Jacobs, B.W., V.R. Singhal. 2017. The Effect of the Rana Plaza Disaster on Shareholder Wealth of Retailers: Implications for Sourcing Strategies and Supply Chain Governance. Journal of Operations Management, Vol 49, No. 1, pp 52-66.
Jacobs, B.W., R. Kraude, S. Narayanan. 2016. Operational Productivity, Corporate Social Performance, Financial Performance, and Risk in Manufacturing Firms. Production and Operations Management, Vol 25, No. 12, pp 2065-2085.
Jacobs, B.W., M. Swink, K. Linderman. 2015. Performance Effects of Early and Late Six Sigma Adoptions. Journal of Operations Management, Vol 36, No. 1, pp 244-257.
B. Jacobs CV Page 2 of 7 Narasimhan, R., T. Schoenherr, B.W. Jacobs, M.K. Kim. 2015. The Financial Impact of FSC Certification in the United States: A Contingency Perspective. Decision Sciences, Vol 46, No. 3, pp 527-563.
Jacobs, B.W. 2014. Shareholder Value Effects of Voluntary Emissions Reduction. Production and Operations Management, Vol 23, No. 11, pp 1859 1874.
Jacobs, B.W., V.R. Singhal. 2014. The Effect of Product Development Restructuring on Shareholder Value. Production and Operations Management, Vol 23, No. 5, pp 728-743.
Swink, M., B.W. Jacobs. 2012. Six Sigma Adoption: Operating Performance Impacts and Contextual Drivers of Success. Journal of Operations Management, Vol 30, No. 6, pp 437-453.
Jacobs, B.W., R. Subramanian. 2012. Sharing Responsibility for Product Recovery Across the Supply Chain. Production and Operations Management, Vol 21, No. 1, pp 85-100.
Jacobs, B.W., V.R. Singhal, R. Subramanian. 2010. An Empirical Investigation of Environmental Performance and the Market Value of the Firm. Journal of Operations Management, Vol 28, No. 5, pp 430-441.
This research was featured in B-School Research Tackles the Big Questions, Bloomberg Businessweek, and How Markets React to CSR Announcements, Network for Business Sustainability.
Jacobs, B.W., C. White, K. Morrison. 1992. Completely Synchronous Manufacturing for Automotive Assembly – Some Lessons Learned. Computers and Industrial Engineering, Vol 23, No. 3, pp 261-265.
Jacobs, B.W., R. Subramanian, M. Hora, V.R. Singhal. 2015. Market Value Implications of Voluntary Corporate Environmental Initiatives. Chapter 14 in Sustainable Supply Chains, eds.Y.
Bouchery, C. Corbett, J. Fransoo, T. Tan. ISBN 978-3-319-29789-7, Springer Publishing.
- Outstanding Senior Editor, Production and Operations Management (2017)
- Executive MBA program, 5 years of academic service, Eli Broad College of Business (2015)
- Broad Integrative Fellow, inaugural class, Eli Broad College of Business (2014)
- Reviewer Award for outstanding service, Journal of Operations Management (2010-2014)
- Certificate of Excellence in Reviewing, Journal of Operations Management (2013)
- Best Reviewer Award, Journal of Operations Management (2012)
- CETL/BP Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Georgia Institute of Technology (2008)
- Professional Engineer, State of Michigan (1987-present)
- Professional Development Assignment to General Motors Europe (1997)
- General Motors Fellowship to MIT (1985-1987)
- Commissioned Officer, United States Naval Reserve (1982-1991)
- Licensed Engineering Officer, United States Merchant Marine (1982-1992)