Gary Lee Mangiofico, PhD
Sr. Managing Executive, Organizational Development Programs/ Services
Consulting & Management Services
Senior healthcare/professional services executive with 20+ years' organizational development and management expertise in: Healthcare Operations, Multi-site Management, P & L Management and Analysis, Organizational Effectiveness; Development, Practice Leadership, Turnaround, Strategic Planning, Performance/Process Improvement, Business Development; Leadership & Team Development
Driving significant, lasting positive revenue gains and engineering complete corporate turnarounds through corporate/organizational redesign to troubleshoot organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
PhD, Organizational Psychology M.A., Psychology
HIGHLIGHT OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS / CLIENT SOLUTIONS
Operational and Structural Redesign: Achieved 300% revenue growth in the first year through business development and integrating new corporate acquisition in 60 days. (Pathmakers)
Strategic Planning: Saved $30M per year by creating Essential Care Model/Best Practices program, a set of formularies implemented nationwide. Won 1996 Sterling Award for Quality. (Apria)
P & L: Improved net profit 11% by implementing shared budget development; new expense controls; and integration of diversified portfolio of healthcare consulting businesses. (Johnson & Johnson)
Corporate Turnaround: Engineered complete corporate turnaround, achieving favorable gross profit from a loss position in 14 months by restructuring operations and management structures. (CPC Alhambra)
Leadership: Achieved average daily census of 85% and met profit projections in 10 months. Ended
fiscal year as most profitable hospital in the western region. (CPC Alhambra)
GLM & Associates Organizational Development Laguna Beach, CA
Management Consulting & Interim Management Services 2002 – Present 1989 – 1995
Provide long and short term organizational development programs and services, management consulting and executive management for clients in healthcare group operations, and multi-site clinical and hospital practices, and educational systems. Lead P & L to impressive new revenue gains through strategic leadership, process improvement and organizational redesign. Manage new business development and build positive client relationships.
Johnson & Johnson Vice-President, Piscataway, NJ
Health Care Services Consulting and Services Division
Provided critical strategic leadership for $300M healthcare consulting and contract management services division of Fortune 50 corp. Directed P&L and all aspects of financial management and integrated corporate acquisitions. Restructured hospital operations (up to 1000-bed facilities) via Operations Redesign, Materials Management, Surgery Dept. consulting, and Ambulatory Surgery Consulting and Contracted Management services. Created strategic business plans. Supervised all aspects of consulting business including departmental management (sales, HR, finance, legal, operations). (8/1999 – 11/2002)
- Exceeded goals for new business signings and increased practice revenue 30% with redesigned management and sales structure.
- Reduced corporate losses 64% by integrating three consulting firm acquisitions into one comprehensive division, a challenge not met by four previous executives.
- Improved cash flow and A/R collecting over $10M in three months through billing and collections redesign.
Pathmakers Chief Operating Officer/Senior Vice-President Berkeley, CA
Led operations for start-up multi-site integrated practice management group specializing in behavioral health. Directed P & L and all fiscal management. Managed operations strategy and business planning. Led corporate expansion and new business development. (11/1997 – 7/1999)
- Led company to multi-state operations to expand appeal to managed care organizations.
- Achieved 98% call center productivity and 95% customer service ratings by implementing dual system customer service call center with computer-assisted capabilities.
- Achieved 40% increase in clinical productivity by implementing high performance work systems tied to variable compensation, improving competitiveness for MCO bidding.
Apria Healthcare Group Sr. VP, Clinical Services/Ops Costa Mesa, CA
Led clinical services operations for $1.2B multi-site home healthcare system. Directed clinical operations across 350 branches nationwide. Ensured effective design and delivery of all clinical services and programs. Directed total quality management (TQM) programs, corporate regulatory compliance, licensing, clinical and regulatory affairs nationwide. (2/1995 – 11/1997)
- Saved millions of dollars and increased organization wide effectiveness and efficiency by integrating and consolidating clinical services' operations (from 500+ to 350) immediately after merger.
- Reduced expenses of two divisions $3.1M per year while increasing field support 40%. Redesigned divisions and implemented scorecard and metrics. Decreased staffing costs.
- Developed integrated corporate clinical services department post-merger to provide oversight for respiratory, pharmacy, and clinical nursing services.
CPC Alhambra Hospital Chief Executive Officer Alhambra, CA
3/1987 – 8/1989
Led general management of hospital operations for 100-bed psychiatric/behavioral health specialty hospital. Directed P& L. Managed strategic planning and design of clinical services and programs. Supervised departmental management (finance, business services, marketing, business development, HR) as well as TQM, licensing, and regulatory affairs. Directed hospital through two years of turnaround.
- Achieved $30M annual revenue through comprehensive redesign of clinical operations. Achieved complete turnaround from threatened closure, a goal not met by two previous CEOs.
- Implemented profitable new programs, including psychiatric and chemical dependency programs.
- Successfully recruited senior management team in four months with aggressive campaign.
Comprehensive Care Corporate Director of Professional Services, Irvine, CA
Corporation Internal Organizational Development Consulting Division 6/1979 – 3/1987
Managed clinical operations and services for behavioral health corporation with 210 contract managed programs and 35 freestanding hospitals nationwide. Programs included chemical dependency, psychiatry, and eating disorders treatment. Directed corporate internal organizational development programs/ services and consulting division.
- Implemented 157 new treatment programs and freestanding specialty hospitals in four years. Aggressively developed industry presence with implementation of behavioral health programs.
- Managed 27 weeks of professional, clinical and management staff development per year.
- Designed and delivered corporation's total quality management (TQM) programs nationwide.
Pepperdine University – Graziadio School of Business and Management 2002-Present Los
PRACTITIONER-FACULTY OF MANAGEMENT; ORGANIZATIONAL THEORY/ DESIGN;
ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT; LEADERSHIP
California School of Professional Psychology, Alameda, CA PhD (Organizational Psychology)
Chapman University, Orange, CA MA (Psychology)
Chapman University, Orange, CA BA (Psychology)
American Psychological Association
Academy of Management
American College of Healthcare Executives
Cypress Ltd. Board of Directors (A Japanese Healthcare Consulting Corporation)
University of California, San Francisco School of Pharmacy Board of Overseers
Bristol-Meyers Squibb Home Health Care National Advisory Board
Johnson & Johnson Home Health Industry Advisory Committee
Hospital Council of Southern California Managed Care/Economics Committee
California Association of Hospitals and Health Systems Task Force
Johnson and Johnson Health Care Systems Management Board Member
Six Sigma executive champion