Jonathan E. Funk
Ocean Road Partners (www.oceanroadpartners.com) 2009-present
- Founder of firm providing educational, informational and other resources to startups in southern California.
Allegis Capital (www.allegiscapital.com) 1996-Present
- Managing director since founding of firm; founded and staffed Southern California office and industry presence; built Allegis brand from inception. Established local deal flow.
- Successful investments include Sandpiper Networks (acquired in 2000 for $630 million), Rent.com(acquired in 2004 for $430 million) and Shopzilla (acquired in 2005 for $570 million), all Southern California-based companies. In all cases, directed the first VC (usually Series A) investment, sat on the board and participated in the exit.
InterVen Partners 1985-1995
- One of five founding partners of spinout from First Interstate Bancorp's venture capital unit.
- Responsible for sourcing, evaluating and negotiating investments in startup technology companies.
- Initiated investments of $17 million resulting in returns of $31 million*.
First Interstate Capital (unit of First Interstate Bancorp) 1981-1985
- Vice president evaluating investments in startup technology companies.
Fluor Arabia Ltd. (unit of Fluor Corporation) 1978-1979
- Field construction engineer for natural gas processing plants in Saudi Arabia.
Publications / Profiles (2010-2011)
- "Study: $48 Billion In Value Created Over 15 Years In SoCal IT VC-Backed Firms" Announced and described unique study and analysis of Southern California technology company exits.
- "By the Numbers: The Returns from Southern California IT IPO's 1995-2009" Reviewed startup IT IPO's 1995-1998.
- "By the Numbers: The Returns from Southern California IT IPO's 1995-2009 (Part 2)" Reviewed startup IT IPO's 1999 and 2000.
- "By the Numbers: The Returns from Southern California IT IPO's 1995-2009 (Part 3)" Reviewed startup IT IPO's 2001-2010.
- "$7.7 Billion In Liquidity Created in 2011 By SoCal IT Exits, highest since 2000" Analyzed southern California technology company exits for 2011.
Inducted into Los Angeles Venture Association Hall of Fame 2012
University of Southern California - Marshall School of Business (1979-1981)
Master of business administration degree, Dean's List Scholar.
University of California at Berkeley (1973-1977)
Bachelor of science degree, civil engineering.
Advisory / Board Memberships: Los Angeles Venture Association (Executive Committee),
Berkeley College of Engineering Foundation, Berkeley Incentive Awards Program