Alfonso Berumen, DBA
Alfonso Berumen teaches Decision Sciences and Information Systems and Technology Management courses in the MBA and Master of Science in Business Analytics programs at the Graziadio Business School. He has over 10 years of experience in consulting where he has provided data-driven economic, statistical, and analytical support to law firms, Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and private companies operating in a wide range of industries.
His areas of expertise include forensic data studies, construction of analytical databases, and complex data analysis. Prior to providing independent consulting services, he managed project teams of Consultants and Analysts in the analysis of Business and Operations data from defining scope to providing deliverables to clients. As part of several engagements, he has provided deposition testimony related to the methodologies applied to collect and analyze data.
In terms of Data Science and Data Analytics tools, Berumen has extensive experience using SAS, R, and Python to process and analyze data as well as apply various modelling techniques. Further, Berumen has taught numerous Data Science and Analytics courses with R/R Studio and Python. In addition, he has professional and academic experience in leveraging Data Visualization tools including Tableau and Microsoft Power BI.
He holds a Doctorate in Business Administration from Pepperdine University, a Master's in Predictive Analytics from Northwestern University, a Master's in Business Administration from the University of California, Irvine and a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Occidental College.
- Doctor of Business Administration, Pepperdine University
- Master of Science, Predictive Analytics, Northwestern University
- Master of Business Administration, University of California, Irvine
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics, Occidental College
DBA Dissertation Research Completed (August 2021): "Effective Use of Data Analytics and its Impact on Business Performance Within Small-To-Medium-Sized Businesses"
- 9/18/2021 - Data Con LA - Presentation on Academic Research Completed: “Effective Use of Data Analytics and Its Impact on Business Performance within Small-to-Medium-sized Businesses”. Link: https://www.dataconla.com/2021-data-con-la/calendar/sept-18/
- 9/11/2020 (Launch Date) - Participating Instructor for LinkedIn Learning Course: A Day In The Life of a Data Scientist - https://www.linkedin.com/learning/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-data-scientist/unpacking-the-data
- 8/13/2020 - CNC Education Fund - Exploring Census Data Uses in the Central Valley - Link to presentation recording- https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=296475091777653&ref=watch_permalink
- 4/6/2019 - SatRday LA 2019: Workshop - “Predictive Analytics in R and Prediction Error”. Link: https://losangeles2019.satrdays.org/
Alfonso Berumen, and Chad Cavanaugh. “Developing a KPI-Driven Data Strategy – a Peer-Reviewed Academic Article: GBR.” Graziadio Business Review | Graziadio School of Business and Management | Pepperdine University, Graziadio Business Review | Pepperdine University, 29 July 2021, Link: https://gbr.pepperdine.edu/2021/07/developing-a-kpi-driven-data-strategy/
- Business Analytics
- Business Intelligence
- Decision Analysis
- ISTM 660: Business Analytics and Intelligence
- DESC 656: Quantitative Analysis for Business Operations
- DESC 637: Multi-attribute Decision Analysis
- PGBS 697: Applied Research
- ISTM 627: Marketing Informatics/Analytics
- DESC 638: HR Analytics & Insights