Cole Short, PhD
Cole Short joins the Pepperdine Graziadio Business School from the University of Georgia in Athens. His research focuses on the intersection of corporate governance and stakeholder management. Dr. Short's previous and ongoing projects have considered the influence of executive characteristics, information disclosure strategies, and the role evaluators play in impacting firm performance. He has conditionally-accepted or published research in the Strategic Management Journal and Journal of Management and has received several research and service distinctions, including best paper and outstanding reviewer awards at annual meetings of the Strategic Management Society and the Academy of Management.
Dr. Short's industry background includes medical diagnostics and information technology investments stemming from his family's entrepreneurship in the life sciences. He uses this background to enrich his teaching and research and to maintain connections within the industry. Dr. Short received his PhD in Strategy and Entrepreneurship from the University of Georgia, his MA in Economics from Boston University, and his BA in International Studies from Baylor University.
Outside of work, he enjoys spending quality time with his wife and son, playing board games and outdoor sports with friends, and working on crafting the perfect cup of coffee. He is an avid reader, involved church member, and maintains his EMT certification for community outreach. He is also passionate about international education and has mentored exchange students over the past 10 years.
PhD in Strategy & Entrepreneurship, University of Georgia
MA in Economics, Boston University
BA in International Studies, Baylor University
- "Serving Differently: CEO Regulatory Focus and Firm Stakeholder Strategy", (With Daniel Gamache, François Neville, Jonathan Bundy). Strategic Management Journal - Conditionally Accepted
- "Crises and Crisis Management: Integration, Interpretation, and Research Development," (With Jonathan Bundy, Michael Pfarrer, Timothy Coombs). Journal of Management, 43: 1661-1692.
Outstanding Reviewer Award (Stakeholder Strategy), Strategic Management Society Annual Conference (October 2018).
Overall Conference Best Paper Award (Nominated), Strategic Management Society Annual Conference (October 2018)
Outstanding Reviewer Award (Business Policy and Strategy), Academy of Management Annual Conference (August 2017).
Best Paper Award (Strategic Leadership and Governance), Strategic Management Society Annual Conference (September 2016).
- Parker, O., Short, C. E., & Titus, V. K. "Hold Your Horses: Negative Anticipatory Impression Management and Its Motivations." Strategic Management Society Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, 2019.
- Short, C. E. "Managing Failure: The Effects of Anticipatory and Reactive Strategies." Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Boston, MA, 2019.
- Short, C. E., & Pfarrer, M. D. "Path Dependence in Organizational Impression Management." Strategic Management Society Annual Conference, Paris, France, 2018.
- Short, C. E. "When Clinical Trials Fail: Managing Drug Development in the Pharmaceutical Industry." Oxford University Centre for Corporate Reputation Annual Symposium, Oxford, UK, 2018.
- Short, C. E. (Presenter for Panel Symposium) "Firm Performance and Executive Succession." Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Chicago, IL, 2018.
- Short, C. E. "Path Dependence in Organizational Impression Management." Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Chicago, IL, 2018.
- Short, C. E., Hubbard, T. D., Quigley, T. J., & Graffin, S. D. "Who Gets It Right and When? Internal and External Evaluations of CEO Quality." Strategic Management Society Annual Conference, Houston, TX, 2017.
- Lee, E., Oliver, A, & Short, C. E. (Organizer and Presenter for Panel Symposium) "AIMing to Impress: Anticipatory Impression Management and the Organization." Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Atlanta, GA, 2017.
- Gamache, D. L., Neville, F. P., Bundy, J., & Short, C. E. "CEO Regulatory Focus and Firm Stakeholder Strategy." Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Atlanta, GA, 2017.
- Ashmore, Z., Alch, C., Coyle, C., Johnson, T., Kingry, C., Okunnu, R., Short, C. E., Jupiter, D., & Islam, J. "Improving Rates of Diabetic Foot Inspections to Prevent Complications: UTMB Family Medicine Quality Improvement Project." Annual Clinical Conference on Diabetes, American Diabetes Association. Orlando, FL, 2017.
- Neville, F. P., Gamache, D. L., Bundy, J., & Short, C. E. "CEO Regulatory Focus, Shareholder Activism, and Corporate Social Performance." Strategic Management Society Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, 2016.
- Campbell, R. J., Graffin, S. D., & Short, C. E. "Just Playing Around? The Effects of CEO Sense of Humor on Financial Analysts." Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Anaheim, CA, 2016.