Academic Research Awards
Major Awards and Honors
- Dr. Cristina Gibson was awarded the Medal for Scholarly Contributions for Top 100 Distinguished Scholars in International Business by the Academy of International Business in Copenhagen, Denmark in Spring, 2019. This award recognizes lifetime contributions to the field of International Business.
- Dr. Cristina Gibson was awarded the European Excellence in Research Award for Diversity Climate research in the Academy of Management Journal.
- Dr. Zhike Lei's 2018 research paper with Jan Schmutz, Walter Eppich and Tanja Manser, "Reflection in the heat of the moment: The role of in-action team reflexivity in healthcare emergency teams," was nominated runner-up for the Journal of Organizational Behavior (JOB) Best Paper of 2018 award.
- Dr. Mark Tribbitt received a 2018 Highly Commended Emerald Literati Award for his article with Yi Yang (University of Massachusetts Lowell), "An Agency Perspective on the Board of Directors and Corporate Entrepreneurship," published in Management Research Review in 2017. Using data collected from 350 publicly traded firms, this paper sheds light on the impact of board dependence and antitakeover provisions on corporate entrepreneurship.
- Dr. Cristina Gibson was awarded the Humanitarian Research Impact Award by the American Psychological Association's Society for Industrial Organizational Psychology, for her Intercultural Approach to Sustainable Community Development.
- Dr. Charla Griffy-Brown was given a Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition by the US Congress for her work with small and medium-sized enterprises and non-profit organizations to help them enhance their cyber security posture.
- Dr. KJ Lee was awarded the Lazaridis Institute Prize by the Canadian Academic Accounting Association. This award is given to the paper that best addresses issues relevant to tech companies or tech usage by companies in an accounting context.
- Dr. Zhike Lei was awarded the Best Paper Award from Group & Organization Management for her paper with N. Lehmann-Willenbrock, M. Chiu, and S. Kauffeld published in 2016, entitled "Understanding positivity within dynamic team interactions: A statistical discourse analysis."
- Dr. John Mooney was awarded the AIS Fellow Award by the Association for Information Systems, which recognizes individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the information systems discipline in terms of research, teaching and service. A Fellow is also expected to have made significant global contributions to the information systems discipline as well as outstanding local contributions in the context of their country and region.
- Dr. Mark Allen was listed #2 in the Top 100 Human Resources Influencers in the world by Engagedly, a performance review software and platform for employee engagement. Dr. Allen's contributions to HR include serving as a Senior Faculty member at the Human Capital Institute, Academic Director for the PGBS MSHR program, consulting for companies such as Boeing, the L.A.P.D., and AT&T, and authoring Aha Moments in Talent Management. Find the list here: https://engagedly.com/top-100-hr-influencers-of-2017-engagedly/
- Dr. Mark Allen was awarded the Global Training and Development Leadership Award by the World Human Resource Development Congress at their Global Conference in Mumbai, India. This award recognized Dr. Allen's books, The Corporate University Handbook and The Next Generation of Corporate Universities, and his coursework at PGBS and the Human Capital Institute.
- Dr. Nelson Granados was a finalist for Best Paper of the Year from Management Science for his paper with Drs. Jun Li and Serguei Netissine entitled, "Are Consumers Strategic? Structural Estimation from the Air-Travel Industry."
- Dr. Robert Lee was awarded the Lybrand Medal Certificate of Merit by the Institute of Management Accountants. Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) is one of the largest and most respected associations within its field, with over 85,000 members worldwide. Top manuscripts submitted by IMA members are presented Certificates of Merit for their outstanding contributions to accounting and finance literature."
- Dr. Zhike Lei was awarded the Best Paper Award from Group & Organization Management for her paper with M. Waller, J. Hagen, and S. Kaplan published in 2016, "Team adaptiveness in dynamic contexts: Contextualizing the roles of interaction patterns and in-process planning."
- Dr. Charla Griffy-Brown was awarded Legislative Advocate of the Year by the Washington State PTA for working with local, regional, and state communities on legislative issues that impact children.
- Dr. Robert Lee was awarded the CMA Faculty Scholarship from the Institute of Management Accountants. The CMA® (Certified Management Accountant) is the gold standard of certification in management accounting; it is unique among professional and academic credentials, designed specifically for accounting and financial management professionals in business.
- Dr. John Paglia was awarded a consultancy contract with the Library of Congress Federal Research Division as a private equity and venture capital expert, to conduct research on the economic impacts of the Small Business Administration's Small Business Investment Company (SBIC) private equity program.
- Dr. John Paglia was attributed the Industry Titan Award by the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts for academic thought-leadership in financial consulting areas.
- Dr. Jim DiLellio was awarded the Best Paper award in Retirement Income Planning by the Academy of Financial Services (AMF), for his paper with Dr. Dan Ostrov entitled, "An Exact, Optimal Strategy for Traditional vs. Roth IRA/401(k) Consumption During Retirement."
- Dr. Kevin Groves was awarded the Editor's Choice Collection Award from Group & Organization Management for his paper, "Leader Cultural Intelligence in Context: Testing the Moderating Effects of Team Cultural Diversity on Leader and Team Performance." This award is given to the journal's most noteworthy manuscripts.
- Dr. Zhike Lei, with Drs. Eitan Naveh (Technion – Israel Institute of Technology) and Wiljeana Glover (Babson University) was awarded the Excellence Horizon 2020 - Research and Innovation Framework Grant, by the European Commission's Marie Skłodowska-Curie Research and Innovation Staff Exchange (RISE) Action, to study patient safety from 2016-2018.
- Dr. John Mooney was invited into the AIS College of Senior Scholars (CSS), an invitation-only membership, by the Association for Information Systems. The CSS serves to provide a forum for IS senior scholars to discuss important issues that are affecting the IS discipline.
Featured University and PGBS Awards
- Dr. Nelson Granados and Dr. John Mooney, along with Drs. Theresa de Los Santos, Joi Carr, Maureen Weston and Alicia Jessop, were awarded the Pepperdine Waves of Innovation Award by President Andrew K Benton, which gives $100,000 to support the design and launch of an MS in Entertainment, Media and Sports Business.
- Dr. Zhike Lei was awarded by the Vice Provost for Research and Strategic Initiatives to participate in the Harris Manchester College Summer Research Institute at the University of Oxford. She held the title of the University of Oxford Fellow in Summer, 2019 and pursued her emerging research on cultural differences across distinct error coping strategies in the academic environment of the University of Oxford.
- Drs. Mark Chun, Kent Rhodes, Charla Griffy-Brown, and B Whithall were awarded the Pepperdine Waves of Innovation Award by President Andrew K Benton, which gives $150,000 to equip the next wave of values-centered leaders in a Government, Industry, and University Partnership providing ongoing certification for executives and alumni in risk management and cyber security.
- Dr. Andreas Simon, along with co-author Levon Goukasian (Finance Professor at Seaver College) were given the Pepperdine Cross-School Collaborative Research Program 2016-2018. Their research studies Wall Street analysts' reaction to monetary policy announcements of the Federal Reserve Bank, a timely topic as evidenced by concerns that Wall Street may not be properly assessing signals on potential interest rate hikes provided by the FED.
Dr. Mark Chun and Dr. John Mooney, along with other faculty colleagues in the ISTM and DESC discipline, were given the Pepperdine Waves of Innovation Award by President Andrew K Benton to design and launch an MS in Applied Analytics. The Waves of Innovation Award gives $150,000 to equip the next wave of values-centered leaders in a government, industry, and university partnership.
Rothschild Applied Research Award
The Rothschild Applied Research Fellow awards recognize outstanding scholars within our midst. Recipients will hold the title Rothschild Applied Research Fellow for one year and will be given a $2,500 award stipend in recognition of their accomplishments. We welcome faculty to nominate themselves or their colleagues to be considered for this award.
Attributed Rothschild awards:
- 2017-2018: No award
- 2016-2017 Darren Good, Michael Olabisi
- 2014-2015 Darren Good, Kevin Groves
- 2013-2014 Dave McMahon, Owen Hall
- 2012-2013 Agus Harjoto
- 2006-2007 Arif Kachra, Charla-Griffy Brown, Darrol Stanley, John Mooney, Mark Chun,
50th Anniversary Research Reward
The Pepperdine Graziadio Business School 50th Anniversary Research award recognizes and supports eleven faculty in advancing their research and scholarship excellence.
Attributed 50th Anniversary Research awards:
$3,000 award recipients:
- Dr. Jillian Alderman, Dr. Joetta Forsyth, Dr. Charla Griffy-Brown, and Dr. Richard Walton (proposal titled "Pilot Study of CEO Traits, Risk, and Firm Performance")
- Dr. Soo Jeong "Chris" Hong and Dr. Nelson Granados (proposal titled "Effects of Contract Flexibility and Stability on the Decision to Work for Ride-Sharing Services")
- Dr. Bobbi Thomason and Dr. Cristina Gibson (proposal titled "Research Journeys: Increasing Understanding About the Creation and Impact of Scholarship")
$2,500 award recipients:
- Dr. Donn Kim (proposal titled "The Structure of Spatial Housing Submarkets: The Case of Los Angeles, a Polycentric City")
- Dr. Clemens Kownatzki (proposal titled "In Search of a Better Volatility")
- Dr. Kwangjin (K.J.) Lee (proposal titled "Disclosure Policy when an Analyst is on the Board of Directors: Evidence from Management and Analyst Earnings Forecasts")