Criteria for Dependent and Independent Student Status
For financial aid purposes, you are considered either dependent or independent. For the 2017-2018 award year, you are considered independent for federal programs if you meet one of the following criteria:
- You were born before January 1, 1994.
- You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- You are an orphan or ward of the court.
- You have legal dependents other than a spouse.
- You will be a graduate or professional student for the 2015-2016 academic year.
- You are a married person.
- You have dependent(s) who receive more than half of their support from you.