Lynda Palmer, MBA
Practitioner Faculty of Marketing
Phone: (310) 927-7527
Lynda Palmer is founder and president of Equus Marketing which specializes in developing and implementing strategic and tactical marketing plans to boost client's growth and profitability. Ms. Palmer has vast industry experience and has worked with emerging businesses as well as major organizations such as Toyota, Lexus, Union Bank, Mattel, SAIC, Honda and Acura.
She has been a member of the Pepperdine University faculty since 1993 and has since served as a case development manager of the acclaimed Education to Business (E2B) program since its inception. Ms. Palmer delivers frequent professional presentations about sales and marketing, and dedicates a great deal of her time to enhancing her community. Ms. Palmer received her MBA from Pepperdine University and a B.A. in economics from University of Washington.
Pepperdine University, December 1991
Masters in Business Administration, Malibu, California
University of Washington, 1983
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics, Seattle, Washington
Harvard University, 1981
International Economics Summer Program, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Pepperdine University; Malibu, California
Masters in Business Administration, December 1991
University of Washington; Seattle, Washington
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics, 1983
Harvard University; Cambridge, Massachusetts
International Economics Summer Program, 1981
4/94 to present Pepperdine University, Malibu, California
- E2B Coordinator (Education to Business Program which works directly with company executives to identify current business issues that can be built into “live” MBA class case projects)
- Practitioner Faculty of Marketing Undergraduate and Graduate
- Received “Outstanding Adjunct Faculty Award”, 2003
- Instructor, MBA Preparatory Program
2/01-present University of California, Irvine Instructor-led classes include:
- CRM-Marketing Extension Program
- CRM-International Student Program
- Customer Service Management-Hotel and Tourism Program
7/96-1/01 California State University-Dominguez Hills Division of Extended Education
- Instructor, Developing an Effective Web site and Effective e-commerce Strategies
- Co-developer of Certificate Award in Internet Business and Marketing
1/97 to 12/07 University of Redlands, Redlands, California
- Adjunct Professor, Marketing, ecommerce and emarketing
4/97 to 1/01 University of Phoenix, Southern California Campus
- Certified Instructor, Marketing and Business Research
2/99 to 1/01 University of Phoenix, Online Campus
- Certified Instructor, Marketing and Business Research
- Toyota Accessories Dealer Training—Developed four training modules to teach dealers how to sell Toyota and Scion accessories (contracted through Liehr Marketing & Communications).
- TPORT Online—Developed workflow and project plan to bring TPORT curriculum online (contracted through Liehr Marketing & Communications).
- 2008 Award of Excellence Winner-TPORT—Project manager for program to coordinate technical and soft skills training for interns with on-the-job experience in a Toyota Dealership. Also developed curriculum and support materials along with training 150 community college instructors and associated dealerships on how to use portfolio (contracted through Liehr Marketing & Communications).
- TPORT Instructors Guide—Developed written instructor’s guide for TPORT curriculum (contracted through Liehr Marketing & Communications).
- Quisic (http://www.quisic.com)—Subject matter expert for development of e-business online course. Also, marketing subject matter expert for conversion of Dartmouth University’s Tuck “Business Boot Camp” to online format.
- Hewlett Packard (http://www.hp.com)—Facilitated online marketing course for HP Asia Pacific region and HP World Wide through Quisic.
- University Access (http://www.universityaccess.com)—Content consultant in development of a Tele-web based course “Introduction to Marketing” for distance learning. Subject matter expert for e-business and abbreviated MBA online courses.
1/06-12/09 Toyota Motor Sales, Torrance, California (contracted through Liehr Marketing & Communications) Organized, conducted and facilitated numerous focus groups for Toyota and Lexus as well as summarized and utilized the focus group finding to develop projects or recommend new insights. Project examples are as follows:
- T-TEN1 TPORT2 Online
- Project Goal: Understand desired features, functions and capabilities of an online internship training and coordination program.
- Target Audience: Toyota and Lexus dealership parts and service managers, general managers, Toyota corporate personnel, and Toyota trained community college instructors and administrators.
- End Result: Developed a features, functionality and workflow document that was used for the software bidding and development for the online program.
- TPORT Instructor Training
- Project Goal: Train 150 community college instructors in 90 minutes on how to use an 80 page training portfolio which coordinated classroom learning with on the job experience.
- Target Audience: 150 community college instructors who taught Toyota and Lexus technical training
- End Result: Developed and executed an interactive training session that kept the instructors engaged and accomplished the learning objectives.
- TPORT Regional Manager Training
- Project Goal: Train regional managers on how to coach community college instructors (teaching Toyota courses) and dealership managers on how to use an 80 page training portfolio which coordinated classroom learning with on the job experience.
- Target Audience: 10 Toyota Technical Training regional managers
- End Result: Developed and executed an interactive training session that kept the regional managers engaged and accomplished the learning objectives.
- TPORT Development
- Project Goal: Determine the desired contents, learning objectives, outcome and style of a curriculum that coordinated classroom learning with on the job experience.
- Target Audience: Toyota and Lexus dealership parts and service managers, general managers and Toyota corporate personnel as well as Toyota trained community college instructors, administrators and students
- End Result: The focus groups were ongoing for 18 months and resulted in the TPORT curriculum that has been implemented in 90% of the schools offering T-TEN.
- Toyota Service & Parts Operations Guide
- Project Goal: Obtain key elements and best practices for an operations guide designed to increase efficiencies in the parts and service department.
- Target Audience: 3 focus groups of 15 Toyota and Lexus dealership managers and regional managers
- End Result: Obtained key insights that served as a strong basis for the Service & Parts Operations Guide.
- Toyota Parts & Service Style Guide Project Goal: Create buy-in among parts and service managers that all department promotional materials should have a consistent look and feel and therefore create, with the input of the participants, a style guide that the parts and service managers would use.
- Target Audience: 20 Parts & Service managers
- End Result: Through a four-hour and a two-hour interactive brainstorming sessions, we solicited feedback and developed a parts and service style guide that is currently being used by all departments.
- Parts Quality Service & Support Operations Guide
- Project Goal: Determine what information new hires need to successfully assimilate into the PQ&SS department.
- Target Audience: Parts Quality Service & Support technicians and managers.
- End Result: Development of an outline of work flow process, responsibilities and best practices that was converted into new hire training.
Hewlett Packard (http://www.hp.com) 1/02-1/03 Facilitated online marketing course for HP Asia Pacific region and HP World Wide through Quisic.
Marketing Consultant, 1/92 to present Provide research driven marketing solutions to clients ranging from small businesses to Fortune
- Toyota Accessories—(www.toyota.com ) In charge of coordinating Toyota, Lexus and Scion accessory marketing copy for all consumer and dealer marketing communications (contracted through Liehr Marketing & Communications)
- Toyota (www.t-ten.com)—Developed workflow, copy and ran photo shoot for a website to recruit students for the Toyota T-TEN program. Developed marketing plan and support materials for recruiting T-TEN students (contracted through Liehr Marketing & Communications).
- Maverick Farms (www.maverickfarms.net) —Developed brochure, posters, flyers, press and Website to attract new clients.
- Ball Performance Horses (www.janball.com ) —Developed brochure, posters, flyers, press and Website to attract new clients.
- Oxford Livery Company—Developed branding, positioning and all related materials for a new saddle line launch.
- Peninsula Research Associates (http://www.pratrials.com) —Developed and implemented a marketing plan to increase research facilities exposure in the community and attract patients to various studies, including website updates, advertising, seminars, television spots, newspaper and magazine articles, etc. (contracted through Liehr Marketing & Communications)
- Family Wealth Counseling (http://www.familywealth.org) —Updated look, feel and content of website. Ongoing marketing activities included webinars, authoring and publishing articles, etc.
- Business to Business Marketing M Advisory Group (http://www.madvisory.com) —Developed and implemented marketing plan for boutique insurance company focused on increasing revenues, profitability and exposure in the target marketplace including developing website and corporate collateral. Ongoing implementation responsibilities include website updates, direct mail campaigns, webinars, seminars, direct calling program, etc.
- Acura Direct Mail Program launch—Developed and implemented a multi channel communication plan to announce the new Acura direct mail program launch to Acura dealerships across the United States. Launch kit included brochure, email campaign, advertisements, interactive educational learning game and contest.
- Toyota Service Parts Operations Guide—Project managed information gathering, development, copywriting and design of internal guide to create efficiencies in the parts and service department (contracted through Liehr Marketing & Communications).
- Toyota PQ&SS—Project lead and instructional designer for the creation and development of a training program for new hires in the PQ&SS department (contracted through Liehr Marketing & Communications).
- Lexus eShowroom (http://www.lexus.com)—Developed and implemented a marketing strategy to update and increase usage and usability of internal online product knowledge tool. Tactics include development of interactive CD, usability surveys, website enhancements. Ongoing responsibilities include monitoring usage and developing new strategies to enhance usability and increase usage (contracted through Liehr Marketing & Communications).
- Lexus Branding Magazine (http://www.lexus.com) —Developed strategy for Lexus internal branding magazine (contracted through Liehr Marketing & Communications).
- Toyota (http://www.toyota.com) —Developed four part article series on marketing Toyota Dealers’ parts and service departments for engage magazine (contracted through Liehr Marketing & Communications).
C.I.T. Business Credit Group, Los Angeles Assistant Vice President, Marketing 9/91 to 1/93
Responsibilities included the development and implementation of a marketing plan targeting Fortune 1000, high growth, troubled or highly leveraged companies located in the Western United States. Also responsible for analysis of each target company and development and negotiation of each lending package.
C.I.T. Capital Equipment Finance Group, Los Angeles District Manager 3/89 to 9/91
Responsibilities included business development for large ticket equipment financing or leasing transactions, coordinating C.I.T.'s credit, operations and legal functions for each transaction, negotiating all credit and legal issues with clients. Additional responsibilities included developing and monitoring monthly and annual marketing plans for the district. Developed and implemented a strategic marketing plan for equipment financing and leasing for the Maquilidora Industry.
Union Bank, Los Angeles Assistant Vice President, 6/86 to 3/89
Responsibilities included business development and maintenance of a $35,000,000 commercial loan portfolio. Closed over $15,000,000 in new business, which included developing marketing plans and analyzing the financial statements of each prospective client.
2010— “Powerful Marketing Tips to Boost your Precast Business”, National Precast Concrete Association Annual Conference October 2010, Vancouver, British Columbia
2003— “Success Strategies for Online Learning” Hawaii International Business Conference June 2003, Honolulu, Hawaii
2002— “Using CRM in the Travel Industry” DMA National Conference October 2002, San Francisco
2002— “Restoring Customer Confidence through Online CRM” Eye for Travel USA West, San Diego
2002— “Effective Use of Technology for Teaching”- presented to Pepperdine University Business School Faculty
1999— “The Elements of an Effective E-commerce Site”- presented to E-commerce Class at UCLA
1999— “The Elements of an Effective E-commerce Site” - presented to the Silicon Valley Pepperdine Executive MBA group
1999— “The Elements of an Effective E-commerce Site” presented to Pepperdine Entrepreneurship students
1999-“E-Commerce”- presented to a group of Entrepreneurs at the Valley Economic Development Center
1999— “International Negotiations” presented to Allied Signal Corporation
1998— “International Negotiations” presented to Science Applications International Corporation
1997— “Marketing Strategies for the Entrepreneur” presented to a group of Entrepreneurs at the Valley Economic Development Center
1994— “How to Develop a Marketing Plan”, presented to the Contract Education Committee at El Camino College
2010-Current—Managing Co-Editor, Collision Pros Magazine-quarterly publication sponsored by Toyota Motor Sales, USA
2003—Do Not Call-Hanging up on Telemarketing- Graziadio Business Report, Summer 2003 https://gbr.pepperdine.edu/032/telemarketing.html
2001—CRM Solutions Seekers Beware -Graziadio Business Report, Winter 2001 https://gbr.pepperdine.edu/011/ebiz.html
2000—The Data Accuracy Challenge, Marketers offer Value in Exchange for Personal Data- Graziadio Business Report Fall 2000 https://gbr.pepperdine.edu/004/ebiz.html
1999—Online Teaching Guide-Published for University Access to help online instructors effectively facilitate online classes.
Membership in Professional and Honor Societies
Member of the Zeta Tau Alpha Palos Verdes Alumni Association
|1995:||Director of Zeta Day 1995|
|1993-1994:||Vice President, Programs, Zeta Tau Alpha|
|1993-1994:||Co-Founder of NAFE South Bay Chapter|
|1993:||NAFE, South Bay Chapter, Programs Director|
|1990-1994:||Member of the National Association for Female Executives (NAFE)|
|1987-1989:||Member, Professions and Finance Association (PFA)|
|1987, 1988:||Recipient of the PFA Award for dedicated service.|
|1987-1989:||Member, Fashion Industries Guild|
Institutional and Community Service
2011-2012-Marketing Director-Horse Happenings on the Hill
2009-2010-Vice President-Las Amigas de las Lomas
2008- Vice President-Equestrian Trails Incorporated
2007-President-Equestrian Trails Incorporated
2004-Present-Las Amigas de las Lomas member
2001-2003- Parent Board Participation co-chair, Cornerstone Elementary School
2000-2003-Co-Leader, Girl Scout Troop # 312
1997-2006-Teaching parent, Cornerstone Elementary School
1997-Present: Sunday school Teacher- Pacific Unitarian Church
1997-1999: Leader, Brownie Girl Scout Troop #827
1993-1998: Consultant, Small Business Development Center
1992-1996: Fund-raiser for Susan B. Koman Foundation through Zeta Tau Alpha
1992: Organized toy drive for Rainbow Women’s Shelter
1987-1989: Fundraiser for City of Hope