Douglas E. Howe
Senior Executive with over 15 years of diversified international experience in organically growing business value through Commercial Market Entry, Business Development, Marketing, building Brand Equity, and Sales Launches - including full P/L responsibility within the Technology sector • Demonstrated leadership in partnering with boards, investors, and senior teams on tactical and strategic initiatives including new business launches and turnarounds, restructuring, and reorganization for increased market share, profitability, and shareholder value • Proven expertise in Business Unit Spin-Off, E-commerce Customer Acquisition, Consumer Market Entry, and Technology Launch Into Emerging Markets • Recognized for translating margin deficits into sustainable profit centers and for leading worldclass sales organizations, aligning talent, and proactively identifying incremental revenue streams • Possess strong vision for excellence, and drive quality from top down with mission to establish businesses with customer-centered cultures, and forging strong multi-cultural relationships through exemplary customer service, innovation, and the integration of cross-functional teams. – Countries: Pacific Rim and European Markets.
· P & L Management
· Strategic Business & Marketing Planning
· Budgets / Cost Containment
· New Product / Technology Launches
· Process Re-engineering
· Revenue Growth – ROI
· Start – Up Environments
· e-B2B, B2C Markets
· Contracts & Negotiations
· Technology Commercialization
· Sales Training / Coaching / Mentoring
· Multi-Channel Distribution
EMERSON MANAGEMENT SOLUTIONS, Simi Valley,CA 2004 to PRESENT
Providing guidance, mentoring and tactical advice to owners/managers of independent businesses to help spur growth and improve profitability while sharpening focus on business vision and objectives. www.emersonms.com
· Introduced business-planning model to establish goals, functional lines of accountability and systems to direct,
control and focus explosive business growth.
· Developed customer relationship management program to promote customer confidence/retention during change of corporate ownership.
· Coached management team to engage employees for responsibility/accountability of business process and results.
· Established policies/procedures to streamline admin function, minimize costs and improve cash management and
ROCKWELL SCIENTIFIC COMPANY, Thousand Oaks, CA 2002 to 2004
$100 million developer and manufacturer of broad range of technologies for government, military and scientific applications
Director, Business Development
· Executed launch of commercialization initiative, capturing international press coverage/recognition and four awards
for innovation in product design.
· Expanded market reach by building international sales with focus on key accounts in five targeted market sectors: broadcast/pro video, videoconferencing, medical, factory automation and security.
· Captured ten new accounts in five commercial market segments and first production order for $675,000.
· Concluded successful commercialization program with business unit spun-off as AltaSens Inc., an independent
commercial enterprise with a valuation of $11 million.
BIOMORPHIC VLSI, INC., Westlake Village, CA 2001 to 2002
Start-up provider of solutions for consumer and industrial imaging applications.
Vice President, Marketing/Sales
· Revamped business plan with new marketing strategy to define business focus.
· Launched international sales effort and achieved "design win" and two Letters of Intent within four-week period.
SILICON FILM TECHNOLOGIES, INC., Irvine, CA 1999 to 2001
Start-up technology firm with innovative digital imaging product targeted at prosumer photographers.
Chief Marketing Officer
· Launched and expanded worldwide e-commerce customer acquisition, development and retention program, resulting in capture of 24,000+ worldwide customer prospects prior to product launch.
VIVITAR CORPORATION, Newbury Park, CA 1997 to 1999
$125 million global consumer electronics firm.
President; Vice President, Digital Division
· Provided strategic and tactical operating, financial and sales leadership to drive turnaround of $125 million organization. Full P&L accountability.
· Returned company to profitability, achieved 15% revenue increase, 17% overhead cost reduction, reduction in employee turnover from 30% to 10%, liquidation of 60% of obsolete inventory, and a gain in strategic market sales of 23%.
OLYMPUS AMERICA INC., Melville, NY 1995 to 1997
Leader in precision imaging technologies and innovative solutions in healthcare and consumer electronics.
Vice President, Marketing/Development
· Developed and introduced breakthrough business plan, established infrastructure to guide product research,
development and marketing functions, and trained 40-member sales force that generated $21 million sales growth
in first six months, leading company to capture #3 or #4 market share position worldwide.
NIKON INC., Melville, NY 1989 to 1995
Provider of precision optical solutions for the professional photography, medical / scientific and consumer markets
General Manager, Electronic Imaging Division
· Spearheaded start-up of new business unit with complete line of electronic imaging solutions. Drove dramatic growth to $11.5 million and established company as industry leader in a strategic market segment.
GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY, Portsmouth, VA 1985 to 1989
The COMBAND Products business unit developed the first video bandwidth compression system for the Pay-TV industry
National Sales Manager, COMBAND Products Unit
· Expanded system sales of proprietary bandwidth compression technology into emerging over-the-air pay-TV
market, personally generating $8.9 million in revenue and $10.3 million in new orders from my account team.
The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Bachelor of Arts, Languages
Defiance College, Defiance, OH
Sales Force Management
GE Management Institute, Crotonville, NY
Adjunct Professor of Marketing, Pepperdine University's Graziadio School of Business
(Course: Global Marketing)
Member, Mentoring Committee: Los Angeles Business Technology Center
MENG (Marketing Executives Networking Group), Los Angeles Chapter
MIT Enterprise Forum, Central Coast Chapter
Co-Founder, Southern California Business Advisory Council
Jet Attack Pilot with U.S. Navy (185 combat missions; 300 carrier landings). Qualified Flight Instructor,
Avionics / Armament Division Officer, and post-maintenance test pilot. Achieved rank of Lieutenant Commander.