Steven F. Orpurt, PhD
Professor of Accounting
Ph.D. - the University of Chicago, Graduate School of Business, Chicago, IL
M.B.A. – the University of Chicago, Graduate School of Business, Chicago, IL
B.S. – Indianan University, Bloomington IN
Teaching and Academic Experience
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Accounting, August 2008 – 2009
- Designing and teaching new forensic accounting course for MBA program
Singapore Management University
- Assistant Professor of Accounting, August 2004 – 2009
- Teaching Corporate Responsibility and Analysis of Financial Statements
- Faculty Senator representing the School of Accountancy, 2008-2009
- Awarded "Best Newcomer" teaching award, School of Accountancy, 2005 and 2006
- Teacher ratings: Recent ratings 80th to 92nd percentile university-wide
Boston University, School of Management
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Spring 2004
- Taught Financial Statement Analysis in the Evening MBA program
- Delivered seminar on accounting issues at Enron
- Teacher rating 4 out of 5
Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Fall 2002
- Taught Introduction to Financial Decision Making for Managers in the Manager's Program
- Teacher rating : 9.2 of 10
The University of Chicago, Graduate School of Business
- Awarded outstanding teacher assistant by the University of Chicago Executive MBA classes: North America: 2002; Europe: 2002, 2004, 2005; Asia: 2004
- Designed and taught 4 day Pre-MBA Accounting and Analytic Method Course for the Europe, Asia and Chicago Executive MBA Programs, Summer 1997, 2002-2005
- Co-taught 5 day Pre-MBA Accounting course with Professor Roman Weil, Summers 2000-01
- Taught (short notice) 2 day Pre-Finance Statistics Review for Chicago and Europe Executive MBA Programs, Winter 1998
- Teaching Assistant, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Financial Statement Analysis, valuation, Managerial Accounting for Professors Ray Ball, D. Hanna, F. Gigler, S. Keating, R. Weil and M. Zmijewski. Various quarters, 1995-2003.
- Academic Advisor to the Chicago Executive MBA class of 1998
- Designed student material and taught 3 day seminar on Value Creation to Managers and Partners. March 2002. Teacher rating: 4.86 of 5.
Non-Academic Work Experience
Analysis Group, August 2003- August 2004
- Worked with affiliate expert Professor Ray ball applying academic accounting and financial economic literature to the Enron and Raytheon large class action lawsuits while finishing thesis
UNext.com, October 1998- February 2002
- UNext.com is a provider of on-line MBA level courses working with the University of Chicago, Columbia University, Stanford University, Carnegie-Mellon University and London School of Economics
- Hired as first full-time faculty member
- Wrote and helped produce finance course demo used to raise $100 million
- Developed firm's first MBA course (Financial Accounting) in conjunction with Columbia University (Professor Michael Kirschenheiter)
- Developed managerial accounting course with Professors Roman Weil (University of Chicago and Michael Maher (University of California, Davis)
Chicago Partners Chicago IL 1993-1998
- Part-time expert litigation consultant
Franklin Asset Management Systems, San Mateo, CA April 1989- August 1991
- Vice President and Portfolio Manager
- Managed $1.1 billion in domestic equity including the Franklin Equity Mutual Fund
- Presented regularly to the stockbroker community
Bankers United Trust Company
- Senior Vice President, Member, Board of Directors. Started a collective fund investment program, managing 15+ employees.
Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Co., CPA's (now KPMG) San Antonio, TX. January 1982- May 1985
- Senior Accountant. Auditor for two of the largest accounts
Publications and Working Papers
"Domestic Analyst Earnings Forecast Advantages in Europe." Working paper, The University of Chicago.
- Awarded stipend to present this paper at the American Accounting Association 2004 International Accounting Section Mid-Year Meeting
- Awarded American Accounting Association International Accounting Section 2004 Outstanding International Accounting Dissertation Award
- Revise and resubmit to the European Accounting Review
"Do Direct Cash Flow Disclosures Help Predict Future Operating Cash Flows and Earnings?" with Yoonseok ZANG, Working paper, Singapore Management University.
- The Accounting Review, second round
"The Earnings Term Structure of Analyst Forecasts: With an Application to Errors-in-Expectations and the Value Premium" with Mitch WARACHKA and Tracey ZHANG. Working paper, Singapore Management University.
- Presented at AAA FARS Mid-Year 2007 meeting.
- Presented by coauthor at University of Texas at Austin, University of California at Irvine, HKUST and Singapore Management University
Research in Progress
"Analysts' earnings forecasts and the recognition of nonrecurring charges," with J. Douglas HANNA. Research in progress, Singapore Management University and Southern Methodist University.
"Does Debt-IPO Trigger Earnings Management? An Empirical Analysis." with Jiwei WANG and Joseph AHARONY. Research in progress, Singapore Management University and Tel Aviv University.
- HKUST, November, 2007
- International Conference on Accounting Standards, Shanghai China, October, 2007
- American Accounting Association FARS Mid-Year Conference, San Antonio, TX USA, 2007
- American Accounting Association International Section Mid-Year Conference, San Diego, CA USA, 2004
- Singapore Management University, 2003, 2004
- Boston University, 2003
- The University of Chicago, 2003
Other Scholarly Work
- Writing "how to" financial accounting guidebook at the encouragement of numerous students
- Writing "how to" pre-MBA guidebook at the encouragement of numerous students
- Reviewer, American Accounting Association Annual Meeting, 2008.
- Discussant and reviewer, American Accounting Association Annual Meeting, 2007.
- Discussant, SAW Finance Conference, National University of Singapore, April, 2006.
- Reviewer, American Accounting Association Annual Meeting, 2006
- Discussant and Reviewer, American Accounting Association International Section Mid-Year Conference, 2006
- Presenter, American Accounting Association annual meeting workshop on distance education, 2000, 2001