Nelson F. Granados, PhD
Assistant Professor of Information Systems
Academic Director, Institute of Media, Entertainment, and Culture
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA, Carlson School of Management Minneapolis, MN
PhD in Information and Decision Sciences
M.S. and PhD Minor in Applied Economics
MBA (M.S. in Business Administration)
Concentrations: Marketing and International Business
UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES Bogota, Colombia
B.S. in Industrial Engineering
University of Minnesota
Research Assistant – Information and Decision Sciences
The Impact of IT-Driven Market Transparency on Demand, Prices, and Market Structure.
This research examines technology-driven changes in market transparency, defined as the ability of market
participants to observe information about products and prices.
Awards and Honors
- Julian Virtue Professorship, 2015-2017.
- Finalist, Best Paper in Management Science (Operations Management), 2012-2014.
- Best Reviewer of the Year Award, 2009, Journal of Strategic Information Systems.
- Julian Virtue Professorship, 2007-2009.
- e-Business Best Paper Award, INFORMS Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, Nov. 2009.
- Best Paper Award, Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Kona, HI, Jan. 2008.
- Best Publication of the Year in the Information Systems discipline, awarded by senior scholars of the International Conference on Information Systems, Montreal, Dec. 2007.
- Best Paper of the Year Award, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 2006.
- University of Minnesota Graduate School Fellowship, 2005-2006.
- Carlson School of Management Goldsborough Research Award, May 2005.
- Carlson School of Management Fellowship, 2005-2006. Dissertation proposal ranked 1st
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Carlson School of Management, 2004-2005.
- Panelist, Hollywood IT Society Marketing & Analytics Conference: “Data Analytics: The Engine for Transformation of Hollywood,” Sep. 2014.
- Invited Speaker, MIS Research Center Seminar Series, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota,Minneapolis, November 2010.
- Distinguished Speaker and Visitor, Executive seminar, Carey School of Business, Arizona State University, January 2009.
- Keynote Speaker, International Conference on E-Commerce, August 2007.
- Li, J., Granados, N.F., Netessine, S. (2014) “Are Consumers Strategic? Structural Estimation from the Air Travel Industry,” Management Science, 60(9), pp. 2114-2137.
- Granados, N.F. and Gupta, A. (2013) “Transparency Strategy: Competing with Information in a Digital World,” MIS Quarterly, 37(2), pp. 637-641.
- Granados, N.F., Gupta, A., and Kauffman, R.J. (2012) "Online and Offline Demand and
Price Elasticities: Evidence from the Air Travel Industry," Information Systems Research, forthcoming .
e-Business Best Paper Award, INFORMS Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, 2009.
Presented at the Symposium on Digital Systems and Competition, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Feb. 2009, Albany, NY.
- Granados, N.F., Kauffman, R. J., Lai, H., and Lin, H. (2011) "Decommoditization, Resonance Marketing, and IT: An Empirical Study of Air Travel Services Amidst Channel Conflict," Journal of Management InformationSystems, forthcoming.
- Granados, N.F., Gupta, A., Kauffman, R.J. (2010) "Information Transparency in Business-to-Consumer Markets: Concepts, Framework, and Research Agenda," Information Systems Research, 21(2), pp. 207-226.
- Lieb, A., Nicholson, T., and Granados, N.F. (2010) "The Changing Role of the Residential Real Estate Broker,"Graziadio Business Review, 13(4). Link
- Chun, M.W.S., Sohn, K., Arling, P., Granados, N.F. (2009) "Applying Systems Thinking to Knowledge Management Systems," Journal of IT Case and Applications Research, 11(3), pp. 43-67.
- Granados, N.F., Kauffman, R. J., and King, B. (2008) "How has Electronic Travel Distribution been Transformed? A Test of the Theory of Newly-Vulnerable Markets," Journal of Management Information Systems, 25(2), pp. 73-95.
- Granados, N.F., Gupta, A., and Kauffman, R.J. (2008) "Designing Online Selling Mechanisms: Transparency Levels and Prices," Decision Support Systems, 45(4), pp. 729-745. . Top 25 Decision Support Systems papers in Science Direct, Oct.-Dec. 2008.
- Granados, N. F. (2008) "IT-Enabled Information Transparency: A Strategic Approach," Graziadio Business Report, 11(3). Link. Chinese version in Chief Executive China magazine.
- Granados, N.F., Gupta, A., and Kauffman, R.J. (2007) "IT-Enabled Transparent Electronic Markets: The Case of the Air Travel Industry," Information Systems and e-Business Management, 5(1), pp. 65-91.
- Chun, M., Williams, M, and Granados, N. F. (2007) "Managing Organizational Knowledge," Graziadio Business Report, 10(2). Link
- Granados, N.F., Gupta, A., and Kauffman, R.J. (2006) "The Impact of IT on Market Information
and Transparency: A Unified Theoretical Framework," Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 7(3), pp.148-178.
Best Paper of the Year Award by the Journal of the Association for Information Systems.
Best Publication of the Year by senior scholars of the International Conference on Information Systems.
- Granados, N.F., Gupta, A., and Kauffman, R.J. (2005) "Transparency Strategy in Internet-Based Selling," in K. Tomak (Ed.), Advances in the Economics of Information Systems, Idea Group Publishing, Harrisburg, PA, pp. 80-112.
- Granados, N. F. (2002) "A Review of Information Technology and Tourism: A Challenging Relationship," (H. Werthner & S. Klein, SpringWien, NY, NY, 1999), Electronic Markets, 12(4), pp. 301-303.
Referred Conference Proceedings
- “Are the Release Windows for Traditional and Internet-based Movie Distribution Channels
Collapsing?,” (with Mooney, J. and Biseda, M.), Workshop on IS and Economics, Auckland,
New Zealand, 2014.
2015 Conference on IS and Technology, Philadelphia, PA.
2014 Production and Operations Management Society Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- “Are Consumers Strategic? Empirical Evidence from the Air Travel Industry,” (with
Li, J. and Netessine, S.).
2011 Workshop on IS and Economics, Shanghai, China.
2011 INFORMS Management Science and Operations Management Annual Conference, Ann Arbor, MI.
2011 Annual INFORMS Revenue Management and Pricing Section Conference, New York City, NY.
- The Value to Consumers of IT-Supported A la Carte Pricing: A Test of the Strategic Decommoditization Hypothesis," (2011) (with Kauffman, R.J., Lai, H., Lin H.) Proceedings of the 44st Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Kauai, HI.
- "Demand and Revenue Impacts of the Opaque Channel: Empirical Evidence from the Airline Industry," with Han, K., Zhang, D. Workshop on IS and Economics (WISE), St. Louis, MO, December 2010.
- "The Impact of the Opaque Channel on Online and Offline Sales: Empirical Evidence from the Airline Industry," (2010) (with Han, K. and Zhang, D.) Proceedings of the 10th Annual Revenue Management and Pricing Conference, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- "The Emerging Role of Vertical Search Engines in Travel Distribution: A Newly-Vulnerable Electronic Markets Perspective," (2008) (with Kauffman, R. J., and King, B.), Proceedings of the 41st Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Kona, HI. . Best Paper Award.
- "Systems Theory and Knowledge Management Systems: The Case of Pratt-Whitney Rocketdyne," (2008) (with Chun, M., Sohn, K., and Arling, P.), Proceedings of the 41st Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Kona, HI.
- "Designing Internet-based Selling Mechanisms: Multichannel Transparency Strategy,"
(2005) (with Gupta, A. and Kauffman, R. J.), Proceedings of the 15th Workshop on IT
and Systems (WITS).
Presented at the INFORMS Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, November 2005.
- "Empirical Analysis of Internet-Enabled Market Transparency: Impact on Demand, Price Elasticity, and Firm Strategy," (2005) (with Gupta, A. and Kauffman, R. J.). Workshop on IS and Economics (WISE), Irvine, CA.
- "Identifying Facilitators and Inhibitors of Market Structure Change: A Hybrid Theory of Unbiased Electronic Markets," (2005) (with Gupta, A. and Kauffman, R. J.), Proceedings of the 38th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Kona, HI.
- "Can You See What I See? Market Transparency, Consumer Demand, and Strategic Pricing in B2C Electronic Commerce," (2003) (with Gupta, A. and Kauffman, R .J.), Proceedings of the 8th INFORMS Conference on IS and Technology (CIST), Atlanta, GA.
- Editorial Board: Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, International Conference on Information Systems.
- Special Issue Editorial Board: Journal of Management Information Systems 2009, International Journal of Electronic Commerce 2010.
- Program Committee member – INFORMS Conference on IS and Technology, 2005.
- Reviewer: Information Systems Research, Journal of Management Information Systems, Electronic Markets.
- Ad-Hoc Reviewer: Management Science, MIS Quarterly, Decision Support Systems, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, International Journal on Electronic Commerce, Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, International Conference on Information Systems, INFORMS Conference on IS and Technology,Communications of the Association for Information Systems.
- Information Systems core course: Full-time MBA, Fully-employed MBA, Executive MBA
- Digital Innovation and Strategic Transformation: Full-time MBA, Fully-Employed MBA
- Digital Media and Entertainment: Full-time MBA
NORTHWEST AIRLINES–KLM Alliance 11/98-08/01 Amsterdam, Netherlands
Manager, Revenue Management
- Forecasted travel demand from U.S. to Europe, Africa, Middle East, and India, taking into account macroeconomic and competitive factors.
- Defined the Northwest/KLM Alliance ~$2 billion annual inventory strategy based on travel demand forecasts. This strategy specifies the countries and market segments that the Alliance should target in order to maximize revenue.
- Managed a team of 15 Northwest/KLM analysts and two yield management systems to maximize revenue for flights between North America and Europe/India.
- Successfully led and implemented a reengineering project of the Northwest-KLM Alliance revenue management function. Responsibilities included: Definition of user requirements and implementation of state-of-the-art revenue management software, business process reengineering, and reorganization of the department.
NORTHWEST AIRLINES INC.
Specialist, Pacific Revenue Management 06/97-10/98 Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Forecasted sales on flights to Asia and led market actions to improve weak routes.
- Developed a statistical model for air travel demand forecasting.
Pricing Specialist 07/95-06/97 Tokyo, Japan
- Developed Japan point-of-sale pricing and sales plans.
- Recommended negotiation strategies with major agencies and wholesalers.
- Identified weak market demand and led sales tactics such as price promotions.
- Represented Northwest Airlines at the 1996 International Airline Travel Association (IATA) Pricing Conference in Geneva, Switzerland.
Senior Analyst - Pacific Pricing 07/94-06/95 Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Priced Asian routes based on market, distribution, and competitive forces.
- Developed revenue analysis models to support pricing strategy and tactics.
IBM CORP. 04/92-07/93 Bogota, Colombia
Product Manager - Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM)
- Developed and executed the country-level sales strategy for CIM solutions.
- Made demonstrations of ERP software and CIM solutions to potential clients.
- Latin America Product Development Award 1993, Nashville, TN.
Sales Representative – Manufacturing Sector
- Managed sales accounts of multinational corporations such as Coca-Cola.
- Led RFP submissions, requirements analysis, and implementation of enterprise applications at clients.
- 100% Club: 1992 Sales Award for exceeding revenue goals by 28%.